POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 20:11:36
Message: <3d73fe38@news.povray.org>
In article <3d73f4a4@news.povray.org> , "Pandora"
<pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:

>     So just where does "structure" stop and "layout" begin ? Are columns
> "layout" or "structure" ? What about paragraphs ? or sentences ? What about
> tables ?

Take this scene for example:

sphere
{
    0, 1
}

box
{
    3, 4
}

Now lets change its layout:

sphere { 0, 1 }

box { 3, 4 }

Or lets change the layout like this:

sphere {
 0, 1
}

box {
 3, 4
}

Changing the structure on the other hand (also in POV-Ray it does not matter
in this particular example, but imagine it in a CSG difference for example)
would be:

box
{
    3, 4
}

sphere
{
    0, 1
}

I assume you agree that the formatting, which is a form of layout (the
layout would include more, such as the font being used) is a matter or
personal preference.  My point is that in HTML documents I would like to
have the same choice of as I have in POV-Ray when I am writing a scene and
determine how its layout will be most readable for me.

NOTE: I am up only for the layout of the scene description language, the
scene that will be render in the example is meaningless and not point of my
argument.  So in that sense my example is not the ideal, i have to admit...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde